Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My dad always said...

we couldn't get another dog because they die. I always wanted a dog when I was a kid, I really really wanted one. We had a dog, well actually, my parents had dogs, Tim & Cindy, when we moved into our house in Leucadia when I was about 18 months old. And eventually, as development started in the lot across the alley from my parent house Tim ran away or died or something, I don't really remember, but we still had Cindy, for a long time...and then she got old like dogs do and we had to put her to sleep, she had hip dysplasia, and I remember being young, feeling sad and crying in the bathroom. I wanted to have another dog. I asked for a dog all the time, and I always got the same response...but a dog of my own was something that I remember always wanting, no silly hamster, bird, or bunny would ever make me want a dog less, I really wanted a dog...and one day I got one.

I was living with my friends in the house on Freda Lane...Jesse had already gotten a dog for Jenn, Ginger, a brindle boxer puppy, and I so wanted a dog. Watching them care for Ginger, and some of the health issues she faced early on made my brain say NO WAY to getting a dog, too much to deal with, but we lived in this big house, with a yard, and I was young, and I so wanted a dog. I had gone with Jesse when he bought Ginger, and at that time, there was also a litter of fawn boxer puppies, still teeny tiny...I had said that I would go back for one when they were ready...but still my mind was saying NO WAY. And then one day I came across the number for the puppies, and I called, they were ready, and I hoped in my Buick Century painted primer gray with Jenn, and off we went to get a puppy.

He chose me, there were so many little puppies, and every single one was so cute, and so covered in fleas, and so needing a loving home...I was touching them all trying to make an educated decision, a good choice, and then this tiny little puppy, no bigger than my hand, climbed up this huge cement step in the backyard and pawed at me...saying, pick me, I will be a good boy...and that's how Scooby became my dog.

And now, my dog is an old man, and I am faced with the sadness that my dad was trying to warn me about, trying to save me from feeling...don't get a dog, they die. When he used to tell me this when I was a younger, I always had some smart ass remark back to him about kids dying and he had three of us...so what was his point. But now, I understand. I don't want my dog to die, I know that he will, because all things die, and I know that it will be OK, because everything always is OK...but I am still sad watching Scooby get old, knowing that soon he won't be with us anymore. He is a good dog and I love him so much...my little buddy scooby.


1 comment:

Nikki said...

That the immeasurable sadness and heartbreak that happens when our dogs die is worth enduring speaks only to the happiness, love, and joy they bring us during their lives.

I am glad Scooby picked you!!!