Wednesday, May 21, 2008

red...

So I was very inspired by my sister Maja, and I had lofty plans to craft something up for red...but no luck, I did do a brief bit of sewing but it's not coming together as nicely as I had hoped...oh well, I tried.

Red is supposedly my color, or at least that is always what my mom tells me...you look so good in red...and I have done my best to wear red when I can. In high school, I had a small thing for red dresses...I was even in that silly airband...I was Annie as in Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie? I wore a red dress (a poorly constructed one at that)...and I was dancing...well, they kicked me out because I cannot dance...I really don't know how I ever ended up in that airband anyway...

I gave myself the day to think about red, and I tried to avoid taking pictures of plants, even though I could easily find red plants in my yard that I love. I thought about red as I drove to work, I thought about red at work, and on my way home...and I kept getting stuck on this red dress...



My sisters called this the sleeping bag dress. My mom spent hours working with that beautiful red satin...I picked the pattern, fretted over ever detail. Yeah, what was I thinking? I also wore this in the Miss Encinitas pageant...but in the pageant it had big puffy sleeves and no rhinestones, we added those for my senior prom. I thought that I looked very foxy, fashionable, and mature...

So my quest to take photos of the photos of that dress...took me on a stroll down memory lane...and yes I have wore a lot of red dresses...

This is sideways, but oh well...a family trip to Mexico ...wearing our matching dresses, sorry Maja, apparently that didn't make it in your size...This trip is probably why we did very little traveling as a family...3 cackling, bickering children, one broken down car, 1 million cockroaches...good times!


Dressed up pretty for Maja's 6th grade graduation...I was in 10th grade and I thought I was hot shit...check out the shoulder pads!

My favorite high school dance photo ever, and my favorite high school dance dress ever, again constructed my Joanie...Jim Bradbury at La Jolla Country Day's formal...I was a little nervous that I was going to be too fancy that night...for some reason I didn't understand that when you are rich and live in Rancho, wearing a button up shirt, tie, and slacks that you own was as fancy as renting a lame tux...so I tried to dumb down my outfit...I didn't do my hair, I wore a silly digital watch, and when Jim picked me up I was wearing my uggs instead of heels (I brought them along, though)...maybe that is why I had so much fun in the dress and at this dance...

Not a dress but a picture of me and Jeff at Grandma Shirley's house. I found it in her stash of photos and swiped it. Not exactly the best photo of us, but I like to look at it and wonder what we were thinking about at this time in our relationship, about each other, about my family...and I love how young Jeff looks... Hot stuff, that red...xo -ag

3 comments:

greta ott said...

ag;
still think the seeping bag dress is scary. Didn't it have a bit of a train. where is that thing now....

Also, what about the garden party dress....

xo
g

Nikki said...

These are great! I don't think the red sleeping bag dress is as bad as you think. I think my sister wins the award for worst dance dresses. I'll have to scan some pictures for the other color days of her dresses. I might come in a close second. I forgot you had bangs. You look so much the same...you've barely changed. Except the bangs.

I love the story of why you added the digital watch to the La Jolla Country Day dress. I was laughing out loud. And I can't really see the dress that well, and I never saw it in person, but I think that red dress might be worse than the sleeping bag dress. I could be wrong:)

I might have always sang the song (with the wrong words, as Will Moore pointed out), but you really were the lady in red!!! And, by the way, doesn't it make you laugh that Will knew the words to that cheesy love song that I loved????

Jeff does look young in that last picture! He looks so cute.

MJ said...

oh no.. Why am I wearing Purple. Maybe Mom thought purple was MY color. Maybe she got me the purple pin cushion on purpose. You had lots of scary high school dance dresses. I think the garden/curtain dress was the one with a slight train...YIKES!