Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Creating a new tradition

I have wanted an advent calendar for years...and not one with chocolate in it, but one where you put something in each day. This has been an ongoing process, a few years ago I cut out 24 mini mittens, actually I cut out 48 and cuffs and I still need to sew them together. Before that, I bought little boxes that I thought I could wrap with scrapbooking paper and stack...and donated those to the DAV after they sat for over year. I had planned on stuffing the pockets/boxes with ornaments for a Lillian Christmas tree and I have the ornaments, bought online, still in their packaging. And now finally in 2009, I have discovered my new idea, my new tradition, and it makes me happy.



Though my calendar is a not exactly what I hoped for, it will work and maybe I will finish those mittens...not that those are perfect either...but at least I have the concept in place...so here is how it works...I am stuffing each day with a Christmas activity...some are extravagant, others very small, but all focus on creating lasting memories for Lillian and one day, Thomas I am hoping to share with them the joy of this magical season Christmas.



Today, December 1st, is day one...I explained my plan to Lillian last night and this morning when she woke up, she was very excited and told Jeff that she thought he was Santa...when we got out of bed we went to find the calendar on the wall and pull out the first slip...Make Snowflakes! Yeah, she was so excited. And we did make snowflakes, I did all the cutting, and she watched in awe as those little snips with scissors turned into beautiful snowflakes when unfolded...and then she become the art director and sequin glue-er...and even when it was getting way too messy, I remember that this is Christmas and we are having a great time together...and isn't that what it's all about! Well, friends that story doesn't end there...well actually, it doesn't begin there, because our day started with an impromptu trip to the outlet mall in Carlsbad and a visit with Santa...there was no line...it's my first year taking Lillian to a mall Santa...and I convinced her to sit with him because her Bubby was going to sit, too...it's amazing how a little brother changes everything...too bad today's note didn't read...Visit Santa, oh well...today was a 2 for 1 sort of day...

Ok, we did have to wait in line for a little bit, and here is a great shot of Finn and Malley eating the candy canes while we waited...my niece and nephew are pretty cute and silly!
Hooray for December...xo -agatha

No comments: