Wednesday, January 13, 2010

T.N.R Tuesday

Coconut Chicken Chili

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped
1 onion chopped (no onion for me, although it really needed it)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp flour
1 14 oz can of unsweetened coconut milk
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 carrots, cut into "matches"
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 green onion sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
Fresh basil and sliced jalapenos (optional)

Directions: Cook first 6 ingredients with 1/2 teaspoon of both salt and pepper in the hot oil over medium heat for 6 - 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add coconut milk, peanut butter, and 1 cup of water. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans, carrots, celery, green onion, garlic, and chopped basil. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve with rice, top with basil leaves and sliced jalapenos, if desired.

So...it was good. I found it a bit bland, definitely needed the onion (which for Jeff I left out) and I added more salt and jalapeno to my plate. The beans didn't really offer anything, I thought they were a bit mushy, I wanted some more crunch...maybe some cabbage?? Not sure if that rhythms but it sounded good to me. Now, Jeff and Lillian loved it. Lillian ate ALL of hers...even the beans, carrots, and celery and she never eats cooked veggies! Jeff forgot to eat his last night, but took it to work today and apparently everyone wanted to know what it was...I will tweak the recipe a bit for my next use but it was fun to cook with coconut milk, I had been wanting to play with this ingredient. So overall, Coconut Chicken Chili was a success! Happy Eating...xo -agatha

2 comments:

mikayla said...

You inspired me! On Tuesday I made a recipe that I had at Bridget and Giovanni's- Macaroni and Cheese with Butternut Squash. It was delicious! I hope I can try a new recipe weekly- thanks for the inspiration Aggie!

MJ said...

sounds weird.
I say leave out the beans and call it curry.