Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Try a new recipe Tuesday

As part of my new year's goals I am going to try a new recipe every Tuesday.
Hooray for new food...


Tuesday, January 5th
Lentil Chili...from Better Homes & Gardens (modified a bit)

2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
chopped onion & chopped bell pepper, but Jeff won't eat food with onion or bell pepper any...so I added chopped carrot and shredded zucchini
1/8 cup of chili powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
salt
4 ounces tomato sauce
3 ounces tomato paste


It was pretty easy, and most of the ingredients I had on hand...I mixed all the ingredients expect the tomato sauce and paste in a big pot with 1 1/2 cups of water...brought it to a boil and then simmered it for about 40-45 minutes, the recipe said 30 minutes, but my lentils were still kinda hard at that point...once it's done simmering, add the sauce and paste...put some cheese or sour cream on top and there you have it...


I thought it was delicious...Lillian tried it and said it was yummy but barely ate more than a lick, and Jeff ate all his and went back for more...but I apparently ruined it when I said it was lentil chili...I also added sausage since my husband needs meat in his meal, but it definitely was not needed nor did it add anything...so overall, this recipe is a keeper...yum yum xo -ag

No comments: